May 06, 2010

My Bandammer

I got to Amsterdamn a week ago and have been having the hardest time leaving. The people have been amazing and I wanted to make a quick post about one person in particular. Jesse Asjes took me to her studio yesterday to show me her work and knit me a one-of-a-kind scarf. She runs her own product design studio called JSSSJS and teaches at Amsterdam Fashion Institue.

So we biked 15km to the outskirts of A'dam to her anti-squat studio where she showed me her equipment, made me espresso, and designed me something specific for my trip. I was telling Jesse how sometimes when I wake up in the morning after camping out that the mosquitos are horrible. Derek and I slept in a couple places that seemed nice when we bike in exhausted and tired but by morning were certifiably swampy. And I had the mosquito bites to prove it. She told me that she was experimenting with a new mosquito repellent fabric and wanted to collaborate on a new piece. So we designed a scarf that has uses magnetic clasps and is a mix of multi-blend and mosquito-repellent cotton with a microfinish. For now we're calling it the Bandammer and I'm super excited to put it to use on the road. So check out her work!

No comments:

Post a Comment