March 18, 2011

Helping Hand

I had the good fortune of working with my friend No Touching Ground from Seattle while he was in town. Veng of Robots Will Kill hooked up a wall in Bushwick and we got to it after the rain. I told Veng this new banger was gonna blow his dick off. Although hesitant to such a declaration, he admitted that yes, it's been blown (I apologize to his lady fanclunb). Horn tootin' aside I was really excited about this particular piece for a couple reasons.

First off, everybody knows that even if you are a guru of wheat paste like JR that paper is the most temporary of mediums. Especially when used on the street. So since No Touching Ground was proposing a large wheat paste I pitched the idea that we paint something on the wall under the wheat paste. That way, over time the piece would of course disintegrate, but also introduce a new mural.


We decided on a concept and NTG took photos of my hand for reference. He printed them and we got into an abandoned condo to lay them out in their entirety and paint in the details and color.


Some of my underlying inspirations... buZ with his keys, my bro with cee-lo, Sunset Justice with the bolt cutters, Read with the book...

NTG printed my notepad tattoo blank and I added a few "to do" things with spray. This part was my personal favorite and it gave me a chance to be self-referential, or self-referentially self referential since it is a note about what we did on a picture of a note about what we did.


With everything that is happening in the world today it seemed only right to make an addition to the notepad for Japan. It's good to practice what you preach, so I woke up and donated to Red Cross this morning. And to think, I've listened to so many NPR drives and not even the soothing voice of Alec Baldwin could get me to shell out a dime. Ha, take that Ira, Terry, Neil...

The last part I was excited about was the gates. Several of the gates have different words on them which might seem hopeful or maybe just utterly random. But really it was an attempt at using names of writers that describe my thoughts on Japan's situation. Optimist, Host, Cope, Give,  Heart.


Check out more of No Touching Ground
And please help out in any way that you can.
Red Cross

19 comments:

  1. RADNESS!!! I will send this link to all my Japanese friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go NTG!
    Where is this installation?
    I love it!
    Thank you for always creating inspiring works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Badass on so many different levels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's the way! it's already one of my favorite artworks. simply brilliant! and the idea of the tattoo... fckng genious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice tattoo! Good way to help the Japanese people~

    Cheers!
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  6. ;-)" ;-)" ;-)" ;-)" ;-)"
    ______/)________./¯"""/')
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\)¯¯¯¯¯'\_„„„„\) ♥______/)________./¯"""/')★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
    ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\)¯¯¯¯¯'\_„„„„\) ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
    Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ...Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ..★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ .♥ ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥(^_~)""(^_~)""
    (^_~)""(^_~)""(^_~)""(^_~)""(^_~)""(^_~)""(^_~)""♥ °°♥ ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    ♥(¯`´•.¸(¯`´•.¸ ________ღ♥ღ_________ ¸.•´´¯)¸.•´´¯)♥
    .......♥ °°♥ ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.LOVE.♥♥♥♥♥♥♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome work. I'm going to tell all my friends about it:) Thank you for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful project. Really inspiring. I thought about different ways to paint multi-layers on a wall but never came up with an idea good enough to do it. Your wall is well thought, simple and esthetically really powerful. Bravo !

    I just looked at your tattoo on Flickr. That's a good one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff....a creative and powerful way to address what's happening now. And I love the idea of the decaying paper slowly revealing what's underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smj VoirreydesignerMarch 26, 2011 at 3:46 PM

    Well, that's my first stop next time I'm there, I don't know why nobody told me about this last time! Perfect setting! And excellent for a great cause AND a great charity which is helping to heal. You gotta watch your charities these days, even the big ones. This is just truly wonderful. Maybe I'll bring a model and do a recreation of the famous Breakfast at Tiffany's shot in front of it, golden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. dude where in brooklyn is this mural i wanna seeeeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  13. nevermind i just found it today!! it's incredible! someone has added a camera above the arm, it's so fricken righteous. nicely done, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was hoping to find some help on wheat pasting and street art...I think the whole "helping hand" concept is beyond awesome!! The project I am working on is also to support a cause...my city was recently hit by a huge tornado and I really want to bring some hope and encouragement to the community through art. Please let me know if you'd be willing to give me some tips. Thanks, and either way, nice job on this project :)

    ReplyDelete