November 17, 2005

Rollei Wall

Finally back to work on this project. The intent is to make a self-reflective mural that is of the environment that it is in. So I began taking photos of all the alley-wanderers that came by as we were painting the background. Next, Caedron and I added the big Rollei, which was used to take many of the portraits of the alley-wanderers. Lastly the portraits were painted onto the long strip which will eventually become a strip of film.

To give the illusion of film, I tried to mimick the graininess found in a negative by cutting stencils of varying patterns. I layered these small patterns over one another with spray paint, applying it thick and thin to give a better tonal range.

I'm preparing the next round of portraits and will begin again around Thanksgiving. If you'd like to check it out, it's on the corner of California and Virginia St. behind Starbucks.








No comments:

Post a Comment